Is your silver jewellery losing its lustre, becoming dull and lifeless? Want to know how to keep your silver clean and gleaming? Simple tips and tricks, combined with a little maintenance, will go a long way toward keeping your silver clean and sparkling for years. Here are a few valuable items that will add sparkle to your prized collection while keeping it free of dust and direct pollution.
- Check the alloys and grades.
Always double-check with your jeweller before making a purchase. 925 silver, which is more durable in terms of quality and upkeep. Anything less than sterling is unacceptable. 925 silver requires regular maintenance and cleaning. Your jewellery can last a lifetime or more if cleaned and polished on a regular basis.
- Keep Your Silver Dry.
The best way to care for 925 silver is to keep it dry. When taking a shower, make sure to remove your silver or completely dry it after your bath. Moisture and wetness remove the lustre from your jewellery over time. When going for a swim in the pool, remember to remove your jewellery because the chlorine in the pool can cause a chemical reaction with
silver that can cause damage. Because the chemical reactions are stronger, sitting in a hot tub of water can cause more damage than swimming in a pool. When wearing jewellery, avoid using lotions and creams. Remove your jewellery and apply your creams; allow them to dry completely before wearing your jewellery again.
- Storage Tips
Keep your sterling silver.925 wrapped in a muslin cloth or soft tissue paper in a dark place away from direct sunlight. Frequent exposure to air and sunlight can wreak havoc on your silver, tarnishing it. Instead of bundling all of the pieces together, wrap them individually in airtight bags and store them in a corner of your cupboard. Add silica-gel packets for extra security and anti-tarnish protection to your jewellery.
- Take Off Your Jewellery When…
Busy with household chores, particularly cooking and dishwashing. The heat from the gas stove, as well as the chemicals in the detergent, are both harmful to your items. Sweat, perspiration, and harsh sunlight are all deterrents that can corrode your jewellery and make it appear dull.
- Polish Your Jewellery Regularly
Polish your valuable pieces on a regular basis to keep them gleaming. To clean the pieces, use a microfiber cloth or a jewellery cloth with long strokes. If you rub too hard, the tarnish will spread to other parts of the jewellery.
- Prepare Your Own DIY Cleaner
Avoid purchasing expensive ready-to-use cleaners from supermarkets. Make use of ingredients from your own pantry.
- Add salt to your precious pieces, rub gently, and rinse under running water. Immediately wipe with a dry cloth.
- Arrange your jewellery on a dinner plate with a sheet of aluminium foil. Distribute the jewellery on the plate. Pour in 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and 12 teaspoon vinegar. Allow time for the bubbles to settle. Wipe away with a dry cloth after rinsing with running water.
- To keep your silver looking clear and bright, simply use a plain dishwashing liquid, rub well, and rinse under running water.
These simple jewellery care tips will help you keep your jewellery looking beautiful for years to come.